Bible Passage: 1 John 3:1
We are human beings, not human doings. We do a lot of things and are identified by what we do. But what we are is not what we do. There are hard things that often happen but we are not to identify ourselves by those things. What I am and what I do ends at death.
A pastor. Some look at them and determine that is who they are. Yet, a pastor could certainly lose their voice forever and the pastoring would end. A father, but that is not who they are but what they are. Fatherhood could certainly be rough if they lose what made them a father and some have determined that, that loss could make them something else. A husband just the same could end if their spouse would pass. Who I am is not dependent on what I am. A job might define who you are by the job or work that you do and they see you as that person, but that ends at the grave.
Rejoice regardless of what you are. If you have never been born again then you don’t know who you are. The who doesn’t end at death.
Who are you in Christ?
- 1 John 3:1; Son of God, one can’t take that away. Your father is all-powerful and the creator of everything. Your Savior, Jesus Christ is your brother. The one that washed all your sins away.
- John 10:28; An eternal being that will never perish and live forever.
- Romans 8:17; An heir to God. In order to have an inheritance of something, one must be family. In Christ. A raindrop that falls into a large pond becomes part of the pond where it can never be separated again.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17; A new creature. You are not what you were prior to being saved.
- John 10; A sheep of Christ. We follow after Christ and we come together with other Christians to graze and be fed by Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 1-9; Called of God. A calling that came to your heart that showed you that you were lost. You were set apart once you accepted Him as your savior. 1 Corinthians 1-12; We are called saints of God. You can’t help to be a saint of God once called one. One can pick your friends but not your family.
- John 15-16; The chosen. Did He not choose you that day when He brought to you everlasting life when He came looking for you?
- Colossians 2:13; Forgiven. We are those that Christ has taken all of our sins and cast them as far away as the east is from the west. The Who you are can not sin. The outward man can certainly sin but the inward man can not.
- Romans 8:1; Un-condemned. Pardoned of all of our sins therefore we are not condemned to a devil’s Hell.
- Colossians 1:13-14; Redeemed.
- Ephesians 4:30; Sealed until the day of redemption
- Matthew 13; Pearl of Great price. He paid everything for you.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16; Temple of God that the Holy Spirit lives.
- 1 Corinthians 6; The washed, sanctified and justified.
- John 8:36; Free. When God made you free He made you free indeed. We are no longer bound.
- 1 John 5:4-5; Over-comers. Do you ever feel like you can’t make it? If you’re saved then HE makes you able to overcome anything and everything.
What you are means nothing really without the who you are. If you are saved then that makes the what important. Being retired doesn’t mean you stop working for God. It actually gives you more time to spend with God. We all must be able to show Jesus through what we are.