Bible Passage: 2 Peter 1:1-15
We are a forgetful people. We all struggle remembering things no matter what we do we just forget things. We have lots of devices to help us remember the important things in our lives, calendars, sticky notes, smart devices, etc. Yet we still forget.
- The Holy Spirit will remind you.
- There are people around you that will remind you. Preachers are a great reminder. The message that they bring isn’t anything new yet it’s a great reminder. When these things come to remembrance then it’s needful to hold on to what’s happening. Sometimes one can turn on a good gospel song and it will trigger a reminder. If you’re a preacher and you are looking for something new, you’re on the wrong path. There is nothing new under the sun. The scripture does not change.
Five things to be remembered.
- The Power. By the power of God, we are feed. The gospel of Jesus Christ is power in itself. It is quick and powerful that’s like a two-edged sword to cuts going and coming. We can’t control the power of God. Some days we feel His power while other days we just know He is present. God is all-powerful and He is the Lord of all. The disciples watched and witnessed Jesus feed the multitude. After everyone was feed they had 12 baskets left over. In the next scene, we see all of them in the middle of the sea in a great storm and they had already forgotten the power that God has. They walked with Jesus and had forgotten and did this regularly.
- The Promises. There is no way to preach all of the promises of God in a single sermon. The Bible is full of His promises. He will never leave or forsake you and will go with you to the end. Your sins are forever forgotten. He left yet He will return. He has gone to prepare a place for us therefore we will be there with Him.
- Your Position. The Lord has loved us so much, a Christian is a joint heir of God Himself. They are a partaker of divine nature. We walk around like we are nothing but be reminded, we are a child of God.
- His Purpose for Your Life. Faith, Virtue, Knowledge, Temperance, Patience, Godliness, Kindness, and Charity. God has a purpose for you. Have you ever felt useless, worthless, or with no purpose at all? Even the pastor struggles with purpose. God is trying to work His purpose through you. Every day you have a spiritual walk to live. If He is the vine and we are the branches it is our job to bear fruit. To bear fruit we must allow God to work thru us.
- Purged of Sin. Of all things to forget how could a saved person forget that their sins are gone, forgotten forevermore? But, here we are reading that we must be reminded that we are sinless and have been forgiven.